Thursday, February 2, 2012

Believing!

As I was watching the today show this morning I saw a story that really got my blood boiling!  Apparently there is a 16 year old atheist student at a Rhode Island high school that has won a lawsuit regarding a prayer banner at the school.  Now, I am a born and bred southern girl living in the Bible belt and I am at a total loss.  I understand that our country has the Constitution and that rights are outlined in it however, the right of free speech?  Doesn't that go both ways?  I understand from the research that I have done today in regards to this story, that the prayer banner has been hanging in the school since 1963 after it was written by a 7th grade student.  I don't read anywhere that the students were forced to recite this prayer or that they were asked to display it on themselves in any way.  So, how is this a violation of civil rights?  Someone help me understand this?  This young girl has gained national attention for her efforts in this "fight."

Part of me feels like young people are so lost today.  Is it that youngsters are reaching out for anything that "fills the void?"  Does atheism fill anything?  Is it an attention thing?

What I do know is that my family knows Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he made for us.  Proverbs 1:7 tells us "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction."  Now, I am by no means an expert Christian and I have to go to God's word daily to learn and grow so, I do.  Some may ask, "how do you know there is a Heaven?"  I have to say, I trust in the Bible and God's word.  I personally know of people who have experienced Heaven.  I don't think they are wrong.  If nothing else, then we should discuss this topic with our children and families.  This can open the door to a great discussion and teaching opportunity.  I will pray for this girl and this situation.

Blessings to all,
Latasha

1 comment:

  1. You got that right sister!!!! Learning and growing in God's word. What a comfort! Anita

    ReplyDelete