Monday, March 26, 2012

The Bible is my GPS

Last week was spring break here for our schools and my kids have made a tradition of spending time with their grandmother (my mom) during that week.  She lives in Texas so we usually meet halfway for the drop off/pick up.  The kids had a wonderful week with their grandparents and got to do lots of fun and amazing things.  When Friday rolled around it was time for me to meet up with them and bring the kiddos home.  Now, anyone who knows me knows that I am a little ditsy and prone to getting lost very easily.  I even use my GPS in Oklahoma City sometimes to get from one shopping place to the next.  So I rely heavily on directions from my little friend.  The kids and I call her Lola (like in the movie RV).  We love Lola, she can always find where we are, and then helps us get exactly where we are going.  Anyway, I plugged Lola in and set my destination so that she could instruct me on every turn and exit.  Then I waited for her to obtain the GPS signal so that we could get started.  I made it safe and sound to the Oklahoma/Texas line and picked up the kids.  After enjoying good conversation with my mom and step-dad we hopped in the car and headed back home. 

On long road trips I get a lot of time to think about things and it dawned on me how similar the Bible is to a GPS.  God knows our hearts and He knows where we should start.  He finds our GPS location and sends the signal to us.  Then He leads us to the places in the Bible that we need to focus on to become better Christians, better parents, better spouses, and so on.  Just this morning I was reading in the book of Malachi.  I never really just open the Bible to the book of Malachi for whatever reason but, today God called me to start in chapter one.  I discovered how similar the world is now in comparison to Israel then.  So many times tithes may be what is left over after the bills are paid.  Our study time may be whatever we can "squeeze" in during our busy day.  There may be no real devotion to our study of God's word.  The people of Israel were sacrificing lame animals that were of no real use.  They were offering the bread in a defiled manner.  They were not giving their best to God so what was the real sacrifice.  You know, God sent his one and only, perfect, blameless, sinless son to die in our place.  The least we can do is to give God our best.  He deserves that and even more.  God doesn't want our leftovers.  I know that I could never fathom giving either of my sons up for anyone else for any reason.  Yet, God did that for us and Jesus took that burden because He loves us unconditionally.  I hope one day to be able to stand at my masters feet and humbly bow and thank Him for loving me that much. 

Blessings to all,
Latasha

"'For from the rising of the sun, even to its going down, my name shall be great among the Gentiles; in every place incense shall be offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name shall be great among the nations', says the Lord of hosts."  Malachi 1:11

No comments:

Post a Comment